Our house blend Falafel Mix is the easiest way to make authentic, perfectly seasoned homemade falafel balls!
Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern food made from ground, seasoned chickpeas. The chickpeas are formed into falafel balls or patties which are usually deep-fried and served in a pita. Falafel balls are also served over salads and eaten alone as a snack. The fritters are popular as a meat replacement for vegetarian or vegan diets. They are high in protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates.
For an easy authentic falafel recipe (made the traditional vegan way) just mix:
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) dry chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons Spice Specialist falafel mix seasoning
- Pulse the ingredients together in a food processor. The mixture should blend into a coarse meal with an almost paste-like consistency that holds together well on its own.
- Refrigerate falafel mixture for 2 hours.
- Form the mixture into round falafel balls or patties using wet hands or an ice cream scoop.
- Fry the falafel balls or patties in 2 inches of vegetable oil, about 2-3 minutes per side until browned.
For a healthier, baked version of this falafel recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Place falafel balls or patties on the pan and brush the tops with olive oil
- Bake the falafel balls or patties until they reach an even golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes per side.